June 15, 2005

It's official: Pollution causes smaller penises

Pthalates, estrogen-mimicking chemicals used in plastics like PVC piping and cling film plastic wrap, make male babies less male. They reduce the amount of androgens that get expressed in fetal development, and, among other "feminizing" changes, baby boys whose mothers were exposed to higher levels of pthalates while pregnant had smaller penises when they were born. It's true! You can read about it here.

If that isn't karmic payback, I don't know what is.

Longer-term studies are needed to find out if this also makes the males less competitive and aggressive when they grow up. I am willing to bet, though, that this kind of finding will finally make the male leaders of chemical companies wake up to the effects of their products. Sometimes, Mother Nature can kick you in the balls. Literally.

1 Comments:

At 5:09 AM, Blogger JA said...

Thats very funny... scary.. but funny. Remember me Cara? You came across my blogspot (jasuarez.blogspot.com) and you told me you're also an expat, remember? I was wondering if you were still passing through my blogs... I hope you are.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home